Friday, February 27, 2015

A Bit About Abide...

I wish there was a way I could sit down with you, a cup of coffee, a couple of free hours, and just talk about Abide and this upcoming opportunity. I would tell you how this organization is doing aide and relief work in Uganda in such a different way, how their passion for acknowledging and fighting for the worth and value of families is incredible, and how their belief in the necessity of kids growing up in their own homes shapes their day to day operations.

 Abide is combating crisis that is not necessarily unique to the families in Jinja. Each day families are forced to make life shaping decisions in how best to serve their families. The question of Work vs. Childcare and Home vs. Orphanages, are questions that are apart of daily living. Things like how do I support and provide for my child when I have no where for them to go while I work? How do I take care of my baby when I am trying to make enough to put food on the table? Are just some of the questions that swirl around as mothers and fathers, aunties and uncles, try to take care of their families as best they can. Abide's main focus is reducing the number of orphans in Uganda and that entails giving options for these families, so that they continue to have the opportunity to both support and care for their kids.

I just can't imagine a position where, because of my economic position, or lack thereof, I am forced to take my child to an orphanage; I have no other option. That's why I believe the work at Abide is so powerful, it's giving the choice back and really the rights back to the parents and guardians. Abide is trying to remove 'force the hand' mentality. In the end, I'm just impressed. I'm impressed with the heart, I'm impressed with the follow through, I'm impressed with the research of the local community, I'm impressed with about a hundred other things...

I think to break it down, my top 5 specific things that impress me most about Abide are...

- Their desire to see the power and decision of where kids are raised given back to the caregivers.
- Their hope and the steps they take towards restoring families and providing opportunity for stability and independence.
- Their mission statement that says poverty should not be the determining factor of if a child is raised in their homes.
 - Their notion that providing new and different opportunities including business classes, sewing workshops,ect, provides better choices for at-risk families.
- They do all this by working with and through local government and leaders.

To say I'm excited about this journey is only the half of it, please considering sponsoring me as I hope to partner with this incredible organization in May!  http://www.gofundme.com/heatherjayne_








No comments:

Post a Comment